On September 4, 2019, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced her intent to ban flavored vaping products in the state of Michigan…. and, within hours, the DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS Coalition was formed.
What is a “coalition”? It is an alliance of key stakeholders who have come together to join in united action. Obviously, any business could fight the Michigan flavor ban individually but DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS believes that there is strength in numbers. Far more can be done to fight this Michigan flavor ban by pooling resources together.
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS coalition members include Mister-E-Liquid, JoostVapor, Wild Bills, Kalamazoo Vapor, ECig Outlet, 906 Vapor and many others.
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS has hired the best-of-the-best in terms of attorneys, litigators, lobbyists and public relations.
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS has constant representation in Lansing meeting daily with legislators requesting that action be taken to stop this ban.
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS strongly opposes unilateral action by the governor to ban an entirely legal industry and demands that the legislature use its authority to debate this issue in full view of the public.
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS was present at the Michigan House of Representatives Government Oversight Committee hearing to discuss the emergency rules on September 12. Representatives from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the medical community, vaping industry and small business spoke at the hearing. Mister-E-Liquid CEO Ron Pease, 906 Vapor owner Marc Slis and Ecig Outlet owner Tom Wasilewski were three individuals who were granted the opportunity to testify at the Oversight Committee hearing. Recordings of both Ron’s and Marc’s testimony have been viewed online over 150,000 times:
- Mister-E-Liquid's CEO Hammers the Vaping Ban
- Mark Slis drives 500 miles to speak out Michigan’s flavor ban
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS believes that more debate like this is needed to determine what sort of reasonable actions can be taken to further prevent minors from using vape products.
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS fully supports fully supports legislation that will strengthen regulations on the vape industry and keep products out of the hands of Michigan youth, including both of these House Bills introduced last week:
- House Bill 5019 introduced by Rep. Steven Johnson on Sept. 24, 2019
- House Bill 4996 introduced by Rep. Beau LaFave introduced Sept. 18, 2019
DEFEND MICHIGAN RIGHTS LCC. is a 501(c)(6) non-profit trade association organized under the laws of Washington, DC.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1) DONATE: Your contribution allows you to become a coalition member and helps in the fight to keep vape flavors available to Michigan adults. Contribute now!
2) CONTACT YOUR LAWMAKERS: Our elected leaders need to hear from you! Use the Defend MI Rights Coalition’s online tool to quickly write your state representative, state senator and Gov. Whitmer!